Please be sure to read all instructions provided by the Graduate School Website.
Please Note: All application materials, including test scores, must be submitted by the application deadline to be considered. This does not include official transcripts/degree certificates and financial backing documents needed for I20 processing.
- Fall Semester: March 15 (priority* deadline), May 15 (regular deadline)
- Spring Semester: October 15
*Priority applicants will be considered for admissions scholarships and other graduate research assistantship resources.
Note: The online MS UH-Extend program has a deadline of July 1 for fall semesters, Dec. 1 for spring semesters, and May 1 for summer semesters.
- Fill out the online application. We use the ApplyWeb application system.
- Upload the following required documents to your application:
- Statement of Purpose: A declarative statement that summarizes one’s scholarly interests, research areas, and projected professional goals.
- College Transcripts: Scanned copies of official transcripts are required with the application. Include any degree certificates, if your degree is not listed on the transcript. Once an admissions decision has been made, official hard copies of transcripts will be required before admitted students can enroll. (See below.) International Students should review the country-specific transcript guidlelines on the Graduate School website to determine which documents need to be submitted.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
The contact information for each person writing a letter of recommendation will be provided by the applicant in the online application. Recommenders will be contacted directly to upload their letter.
- International students should also upload the following, although this can be done after admission is granted:
A Letter of Financial Backing
A Financial Banking Statement: See Letter of Financial Backing for instructions
An I-20 Transfer Form: Required if applicant already has an F1 visa for another U.S. institution.
If you have difficulties uploading any of the required documents, please contact our ECE_Grad_Admit [at] uh.edu (office).
- Request to have your test scores sent to the university. (School Code 6870)
- Official GRE scores
Submit scores directly through the Educational Testing Service (the organization that administers the exam) to the University of Houston by using the institutional code 6870.
- TOEFL Scores (if applicable)
Scores are handled and submitted by the same organization as the GRE scores. Applicants with degrees from U.S. institutions or from institutions in countries listed on this page are exempt from the English Proficiency requirements. All other applicants, regardless of residency status, must submit English Proficiency scores. While we prefer TOEFL, we do accept IELTS scores, which must be mailed directly from the testing agency to the UH Graduate School.
- Official GRE scores
- Degree Certificates/Diplomas (if applicable)
Degree certificates/diplomas are required if the degrees are not shown on any of the official transcripts. If this is so, hard copies of official certificates/diplomas should be mailed to the Graduate School along with the official transcripts. If you do not wish to mail your certificate, you can bring it with you when you arrive on campus.
- Admitted students cannot enroll in courses until their degree certificates have been verified by the Graduate School.
- Wait for an email from the Electrical and Computer Engineering department. We process applications at least once a month and about once a week in the months prior to the submission deadline, so there may be some delay before you hear from us. Decisions are not released on a rolling basis; they are released twice per year.
Important: Official transcripts, degree certificates/diplomas (if the degrees are not shown on the official transcripts), and IELTS scores must be sent to the Graduate School using either of the addresses below.
|Regular Mail Address||Express Mail Address|
|University of Houston||University of Houston|
|Graduate Admissions||Graduate Admissions|
|P.O. Box 3947||4302 University Dr, Rm 102|
|Houston, Texas 77253-3947||Houston, Texas 77204-2012|
University Admissions Office or International Admissions Office
Do not send application materials to the University Admissions Office or to the International Admissions Office — these offices only work with programs that do not have their own, internal admissions office. For applications to the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, please upload everything through ApplyWeb. Hard copies of documents should be mailed to the Graduate School address listed above.
You may check on the status of your application by logging into ApplyWeb.