What We Do
The Machine Shop is a full-service research shop that provides machining, assembly and fabrication services in support of research projects for Cullen College students, faculty and staff.
- Professional machining and welding services
- Design assistance (consultation, CAD drawing)
- Stock, fasteners, hand and power tools are available
- You must supply detailed drawings of the part(s) you want fabricated, complete with quantity, material, and tolerances as needed.
- Customer can supply material or shop will supply the material at cost.
- Cost center/ speed type # is required for billing.
- UH users: $35/hr
- Non-UH Users: $54.25/hr
Hours and Location
Monday - Friday
6:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Location: UH Energy Research Park
Building 7, Suite 110
5000 Gulf Freeway
Houston, TX. 77023
- Bridgeport style vertical knee mills
- Horizontal mill
- Engine lathes (capable of swinging up to 20” diameter and 6’ in length)
- 120 Ton Scotchman Hydraulic Iron Worker (with punching and shearing capabilities)
- Tig and stick welding as well as plasma cutting and brazing/soldering abilities
- Haas CNC Vertical Machining Center with 40” X 20” X 25”(X,Y,Z) travel, 20 Tool Umbrella Carousel, utilizing the latest Cam Software from Espirit
- New! Toolroom Mill with Tool Changer; 40" x 20" x 16" (1016 x 508 x 406 mm), 40 taper, 7.5 hp (5.6 kW) vector drive, 6000 rpm, full enclosure, 10-station automatic tool changer, Visual Programming System, power-failure detection module, 1 GB program memory, memory lock keyswitch, 15" color LCD monitor and USB port and 20-gallon (76 liter) flood coolant system.
- New! CNC Toolroom Lathe; 16" x 30" (406 x 762 mm) max capacity, chip enclosure, 20" (508 mm) swing, 10 hp (7,5 kW) vector drive, 1800 rpm, A2-6 spindle, Intuitive Programming System, coolant pump, 1 MB program memory, memory lock keyswitch, air blow gun, 15" color LCD monitor and USB port. No workholding, toolpost, or toolholders included
Unable to view the above slideshow? Click here to view the photo album.
Phone: (713) 743-4411
E-mail: mryoung [at] central [dot] uh [dot] edu